Out Run heading to Nintendo 3DS

Emulation, Hacking, Oldskool Gaming

Out Run heading to Nintendo 3DS

Postby matt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:50 pm

matt

Re: Out Run heading to Nintendo 3DS

Postby reassembler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes, it's excellent news! I've been impressed with M2s work. Those guys really go the extra mile with their conversions.

I'm pretty sure it won't be a faithful port though. The roadside advertising will definitely be changed and the car licenses (including the traffic) may also not be included, resulting in replacement generic vehicles.

That aside, I can't wait to play in 3D.
reassembler
Site Admin

Postby matt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 am

Absolutely.
matt

Postby matt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Woah!

http://tinycartridge.com/post/829020003 ... -in-it-not

Not sure why, but M2 went ahead and added new music (and a new car?) to the 3D Classics version of OutRun, coming out April 23 in Japan: “Cruising Line” by Manabu Namiki and “Camino a Mi Amor” by Jane-Evelyn Nisperos.

There’s also… a new car, three different simulated cabinets, four screen modes, totally remappable controls, replay saving (with multi-speed playback), mid-race saving, customizable volume for game audio, engine noise and ambient arcade machine sound…

This is deluxe even for Sega 3D Classics! M2 has OutDone itself.

Source: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/outrun/
matt

Postby matt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 pm

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=108334785

I'm looking over that page in Google translate and man are there tons of options here.

- Choice of car color (Google translates it as "model" so it might even be different car types)
- Save states
- "Replay" option that will play back recorded gameplay at normal, half or double speed.
- Steer with slide pad, d-pad, or touch-screen
- 5 difficulty levels - on the lowest level there will be no other cars on the road
- Time limit can be set on a scale of 1 to 5
- Can select between playing the Japanese version or International version. The stages are arranged differently depending on the version.
- Can switch between mile and kilometer display
- Buttons are completely user configurable
- Three shifter types: Toggle, Hold, and Automatic
- Four screen display types: 4:3 (original), 16:9 (widescreen), Full (zoomed to fill the 3DS screen) and Cabinet (arcade cabinet view)
- Moving housing (optional) - simulates the Deluxe Outrun arcade cabinet by tilting the screen when you steer
- Environmental sounds (optional) - simulates the sounds the motors in the deluxe arcade cabinet made when it tilted side to side.
- Volume sliders for sound effects, BGM and environmental sounds
- Separate setting for engine sound volume (3 levels)
- Equalizer - It is possible to process the reproduced sound of the game
- BGM test menu
- 2 new BGM tracks in addition to the original 3 (5 in total)
matt

Postby reassembler » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Can't wait to play in 3D! That will be cool.

I thought the additional options were a bit lacklustre though. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but after M2 added an entire new boss to Space Harrier I was expecting something more!

is there anything from the feature list that particularly excites people? I've summarized below.

- Choice of car color (Google translates it as "model" so it might even be different car types)
Recolouring the Ferrari would be really easy, but I always thought that was a bit of novelty so never bothered with it :)

- Save states
This is actually a bit more difficult to do, as I'm not using emulation. So this will probably not happen.

- "Replay" option that will play back recorded gameplay at normal, half or double speed.
Could be cool, was on my TODO list but it's never been requested.

- Steer with slide pad, d-pad, or touch-screen
Not relevant! :)

- 5 difficulty levels - on the lowest level there will be no other cars on the road
Same as CannonBall.

- Time limit can be set on a scale of 1 to 5
Same as CannonBall/Arcade.

- Can select between playing the Japanese version or International version. The stages are arranged differently depending on the version.
Same as CannonBall.

- Can switch between mile and kilometer display
Easy to implement - does anyone really want this?!

- Buttons are completely user configurable
Same as CannonBall.

- Three shifter types: Toggle, Hold, and Automatic
Same as CannonBall.

- Four screen display types: 4:3 (original), 16:9 (widescreen), Full (zoomed to fill the 3DS screen) and Cabinet (arcade cabinet view)
Same as CannonBall minus the cabinet views.

- Moving housing (optional) - simulates the Deluxe Outrun arcade cabinet by tilting the screen when you steer
This is just odd. When you play the original machine your seat tilts with the machine, so the screen shouldn't tilt?!

- Environmental sounds (optional) - simulates the sounds the motors in the deluxe arcade cabinet made when it tilted side to side.
Well, I guess as you can use CannonBall with the original arcade cabinet, this is less important. Although I suppose you do need an original cabinet!!

- Volume sliders for sound effects, BGM and environmental sounds
- Separate setting for engine sound volume (3 levels)
- Equalizer - It is possible to process the reproduced sound of the game[/b]
Could be nice to have these things.

- BGM test menu
Same as CannonBall.

- 2 new BGM tracks in addition to the original 3 (5 in total)
We can add them as WAVs
reassembler
Site Admin

Postby matt » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:08 pm

Great 4 part interview with M2, the developers of the 3DS version.

Or seems most of their time was taken with optimisation to get the hardware to run the game at 60fps.

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/05/sega-3 ... un-part-1/
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/06/sega-3 ... un-part-2/
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/09/sega-3 ... un-part-3/
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/10/sega-3 ... un-part-4/
matt

Postby reassembler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Yeah, I guess with the 3D they're doubling the graphics processing as they're essentially generating two displays!

It's a solid conversion. But I think AfterBurner 2 and Space Harrier were the best of this series of M2 releases, due to the innovative extra game features. I mean, that extra mode in AfterBurner totally transforms it into a more playable game! Blew me away.

The OutRun gameplay tweaks are a bit lame in my opinion and actually make the game play worse.

For some reason I find it easier to lose the 3D effect on this game than some of the others, by getting the angle of the 3DS wrong. Weird.
reassembler
Site Admin

Postby matt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:14 pm

reassembler wrote:But I think AfterBurner 2 and Space Harrier were the best of this series of M2 releases, due to the innovative extra game features. I mean, that extra mode in AfterBurner totally transforms it into a more playable game! Blew me away.

I heard it's by the guy who made Ikaruga, right? I should really buy some of these versions.

reassembler wrote:For some reason I find it easier to lose the 3D effect on this game than some of the others, by getting the angle of the 3DS wrong. Weird.

New 3DS should alleviate that. Perhaps they only tested with this new device and so things aren't so good on the older models? No idea.
matt

Return to General Chat