My CannonBall arcade cab project

OutRun Engine & Level Editor: Chat, Bugs, Your Levels

My CannonBall arcade cab project

Postby smarty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi all,

In the new year I'll be making a start on my latest arcade project, I'm going to turn a Monaco GP shell into a Cannonball cab. I used to own an mini upright Outrun which I sold a few years back ( :o ) recently I've been getting back into Outrun via Cannonball.

The project will probably take most of next year to complete during my spare time, I'll keep this post updated when I make any progress with the build.

A couple of photos below show what the cab looks like now.

Thanks for reading, Mart.
smarty

Re: My CannonBall arcade cab project

Postby reassembler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Awesome. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Where did you pickup the Monaco shell? It always makes me sad to see old cabs that have been stripped down :cry:
reassembler
Site Admin

Postby smarty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi there, Forcefulfil over at the UKVAC forums has been clearing out an old arcade for an Op for what seems like a few years now. This cab and some fruities are the remaining items.

I'm all for restoring cabs to their original conditions as I've previously done, but to me with the condition that its in, I'm happy to convert it, besides it is a Sega cab, I'll be giving it a new lease of life.

*********************************************************************************************
jumpnfire.com

Current projects; Atari Fire Truck - Atari Pole Position.
Future Projects; Atari Tempest Cabaret - Sega Outrun/Cannonball hybrid.
smarty

Postby reassembler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Excellent - sounds like a good use of the cab!

Are you planning on using an original CRT?
reassembler
Site Admin

Postby smarty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:50 am

Yes, planning to use a CRT for sure. I've got a 25" arcade monitor spare, but really I'd like to put a widescreen tv in to get the full benefits of using CannonBall. It all depends on what I can source and how much budget I have when the time comes, not that finding a widescreen CRT will be too difficult or expensive! It will probably be more a case of what I can fit into the cabs width.
smarty

Postby smarty » Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 pm

To update this thread and get it back on track... In the end I never got the above cab due to a combination of reasons, but this week I received this cab.

Its a Midway Cruis'n World cab which as it turns out was actually made by Sega. Its an Identical cab to Scud Race see the comparison below.

The aim is still to make a 'Cannonball' cab, I'll be getting on with it in the coming months.
smarty

Return to CannonBall & LayOut